Ypapanti-Corfu-Church

On the other side of Gouvia bay lies the Church of the Ipapanti of Christ – the church of the purification of Christ, built in 1713 during Venetian rule by Daniel Kombitsi. After his death, all of his family property, including the Church of the Ipapanti of Christ, passed to the Theotoki family and was afterwards bought by the Italian family Scarpa. After the death of Dr. Yannis Scarpas, the church gradually fell into a state of disrepair and abandonment.

In 1996 a number of people from Gouvia, concerned about the fate of the church, formed a fund-raising committee with the aim of the complete restoration of the church and with the help of financial donations made by members of the Christian community, work began in order to restore the church to its original form.