{MESSAGE}
{MESSAGE}
Confirm
Cancel
achilleon-corfu-holidays-iliada-beach-hotel-2
The Achilleion Palace is a truly magnificent royal mansion on the island of Corfu, situated within a close proximity from the town of Corfu, in a place called Gastouri. Raffaele Caritto and Antonio Landi constructed this lavish palace in 1890 for the Empress of Austria, Elisabeth (or else known as Sissy). The palace is one of the finest buildings on the entire island and it has been named after the epic hero Achilles from Iliad. Its décor is distinctive and there is a strong influence of the Greek mythology. The lush gardens boast exceptional marble statues, such as that of Dying Achilles which fascinates all visitors. Visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy several superb paintings and the distinctive décor of the neoclassical building. Thanks to its privileged location, the guests enjoy spectacular views to the Ionian Sea, along with the hills and valleys all around.
Iliada-beach-hotel-corfu-00013
The Venetian arsenal at Gouvia was a shipyard built by the Venetians during their rule of Corfu on the west side of what used to be called Govino Bay, the current location of the modern village of Gouvia. The remains of the old arsenal still exist at the Bay of Gouvia, and are located approximately 8 km from Corfu city. The ruins are behind the modern marina of the port of Gouvia and are separated from it by an iron fence.The Venetians used the bay as a port and their arsenal was built near the water. The Venetian shipyard features three arched docks which were used to service their two fleets which were stationed in Corfu. The columns, walls and arches of the arsenal survive almost intact but the roof is missing.The use of the arsenal was officially discontinued when the Treaty of Campo Formio, which was signed on 18 October 1798, signalled the end of the Venetian Republic. Admiral Ushakov landed his troops at the site of the arsenal and created a military camp there during the Siege of Corfu in 1798. The arsenal also functioned as a base for the French in 1917–1918